Have your periods gone missing?
What is Amenorrhea?
Amenorrhea is a symptom whereby the menstrual cycle has been absent for three or more consecutive periods.
There are two forms of amenorrhea;
- Primary – where a woman has not begun menstruating by the age of 15 or 16
- Secondary – where a women who previously menstruated, is no longer menstruating.
What are the common causes of Amenorrhea?
The onset of amenorrhea is varies and may be as a result of;
- emotional or physical stress
- hormonal changes (puberty, menopause or pregnancy)
- supplements which reduce oestrogen or increase testosterone levels
- changes to medication (i.e. stopping the pill which is referred to as post-pill amenorrhea) or taking new medications to treat other conditions
- low body weight, extreme weight loss or poor diet
- over-exercising or rigorous exercise
- genetic reasons
- other medical reasons such as hypothyroidism, ovarian failure or PCOS.
If you have not had a cycle for a few months, are not pregnant or menopausal, skipping more than three periods is an indication something is not quite right!
What is the treatment for Amenorreha?
Try making the following lifestyle changes if you have skipped a few periods;
- reduce stress
- reduce exposure to potential hormone-disrupting ingredients in your environment such as SLS, DEA, parabens, propylene glycols
- improve your diet
- ensure you are getting enough rest and not over-exercising
It is important you make an appointment with your GP to ensure that any underlying conditions which may be causing amenorrhea are diagnosed and treated.
User Experience Designer
Brenda Tootell is the founder of Freedom Products. She has a background in User Experience Design and is involved in the research, design and development of JuJu products. Brenda is passionate about providing individuals with sustainable product alternatives, improving the interaction customers have with JuJu products and maintaining environmentally conscious and socially responsible business practices. Brenda is a wife and mum to two teenage boys and a ball-crazed border collie. She loves getting out in nature, travel and good product design.